Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Be glad of life . . .

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars." -- Henry Van Dyke

After a stressful couple of weeks of student high-stakes testing involving graduation requirements for both freshmen and sophomores, I have a rare evening at home as a high school principal.  After the school day ends, the second "day" of the school day begins.  In the winter we have wrestling, gymnastics, Boys BB, Girls BB, Swimming, Diving, Hockey, and Cheerleading contests.  We are also fortunate to have phenomenal performing arts programs, including a recent musical production of Mary Poppins and OMEA contests and concerts for Band, Choir and Orchestra.  When the bell rings at 2:42 PM every day the rest of the day starts.

And so when we have an evening at home, or even on the weekends, a free afternoon, it is a wonderful time to reconnect with family, enjoy personal activities, reflect, relax and relish the opportunity to wind down, or as Van Dyke puts it, "love, work, play and look at the stars."

What does that look like for me? A picture is worth a thousand words.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love. . .

My daughter and her husband epitomize LOVE and our time together makes my life glad.
and to work . . .

I LOVE my work.  It is a great joy in my life.  Here is our student section at a recent BB game!  Great kids!



This video is of our recent Chamber Orchestra performance at our Winter Concert.  They are amazing!

Our hockey team won the District Semi-final and needs one more win to make it in the Div I State Frozen Four!

and to play . . .

My husband and I love to XC Ski.  Here we are on the frozen creek behind our house.  

and to look up at the stars."


The stars? No. But we take great pleasure in looking at nature.  Here are 4 white-tailed deer in our backyard who stayed for almost 90 minutes raiding our squirrel and bird feeders.  Love it!

What brings gladness to your life?



























No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate hearing your ideas and learning from you. Please share.