Monday, March 31, 2014

I used to . . ., but now I . . .

I used to be afraid of blogging, but now I feel I am sharing with friends.

I used to think that I could never write days in a row, but now I know I can do it.

I used to think that I could never make a friend through writing, but now I know, thanks to Carol, I can.

I used to think I would write nearly all of my Slice of Life posts about my work as a principal, but now I know I can cultivate many other ideas.

I used to think I could never find time to write, but now I know that I can, should and must.

I used to think that no one would ever take the time to comment on my writing, but now I know that that are caring and thoughtful people from all the world who really care about what I try to say.

I used to think that being a high school principal would inhibit me sharing truly personal feelings about life and family, but I know it has made me a better person to do so.

I used to think that writing blog post was just like writing on paper, just digital, but now I have learned about digital literacy, inserting links, inserting photos, and important photo and intellectual attribution.

I used to think that I really knew everything about my daughter, but now I have so much more to know, love and learn,

I used to be afraid of reading and commenting on other's writings publicly, but now I have learned that I, too, am an important part of this wonderful experience.

I used to think that I could not connect emotionally to a stranger's writing, but now I know I can and I must.

I used to be unaware of the connected lives of a community of readers and writers, but now I have learned that I have been missing a significant part of life and the lives of others.

I used to be afraid, but now I am brave.

I used to feel alone, but now I am connected.

I used to miss the details and beauty in the everyday lives of others, but now I have a deeper understanding of life itself and our daily stories and journeys.

I used to write and respond as an individual, but now I am a slice-of-lifer.

I used to lack full appreciation for the details and observations of others and their lives, but now I have experienced a metamorphosis of my own life by experiencing a slice of theirs.




10 comments:

  1. This is an excellent way to show your growth from being a part of this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to write. I have appreciated being part of this community.

      Delete
  2. I love how you have written about the changes this experience has created. It has been an amazing month. This is sad to say but I found your blog on the last day! I want to go back and read more. I hope you continue to slice on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your very kind words. I hope to try to write on Tuesdays.

      Delete
  3. I loved the format that you used to share your reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on the format. I wanted to end on something different yet appropriate. I appreciate your input.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I love this structure, Mommy! I'm definitely going to show this to my students and encourage them to use it in their own reflections!

    (And I'm so glad you enjoyed the challenge and got so much out of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great format for reflection! What an amazing month for you for your first SOL challenge. Sounds like you still have a lot more to say! See you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing is powerful in so many ways. You have done a thorough job of capturing so many that apply to all of us, regardless of age or walk of life. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used this "I used to think, but now I know..." reflection exercise with my students, but I haven't used it myself. Love the format, and I love the reflective thoughts you shared. You have learned a lot!!
    aggiekesler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate hearing your ideas and learning from you. Please share.