Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lion or gazelle-- you had better be running

Day 4. 9 pm.  It didn't take me long to hit the wall and wrestle with the idea that maybe I just wouldn't write today.

What a day.  One of those days where every hour was another meeting at another place, finally getting home about 7:30 PM followed by a Jersey Mike's club sub and falling asleep in the couch, only to awake to my dear sweet husband teasingly saying, "nice to spend the evening with you talking."

And so I decided I just couldn't go to bed without writing and then discovering I had left my laptop at school.   My husband offered his laptop up and after five minutes fighting with his PC, I declared I couldn't even search for Blogger on it.  It is like trying to type left handed and backwards.

And so on my iPad mini I am forging ahead to get Day 4 done.  And after today, exhausted but determined, one parable comes to mind.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.  It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed.  Every morning a lion wakes up.  It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death,. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion, or a gazelle, when the sun come up, you'd better be running."

And so it is with high school principals and many other educators.  Here's to all of us who had better be running, day after day.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Cathy, you are a trooper! Long day, no laptop and you are still slicing! Hurray for you! I love the story about the lion and the gazelle-- and I totally agree with you that this is the life of all of us who are educators! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether to be inspired by your post, or exhausted by it! The upside to slicing is that we know we all, as educators, are rowing the same boat. Hope you find some inspiration to keep you running today.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate hearing your ideas and learning from you. Please share.